Improving your food photography: a guide for bloggers

Bloggers guide to improving your food photography

I was chuffed to bits when I was recently approached by the Foodie Bugle (the well-known online food and drink magazine) and asked if I’d write a feature on food photography tips for bloggers. There are already a lot of articles, blogs and books that provide advice on food photography, but they do all tend to be geared towards bloggers who have digital SLR cameras. I decided to write a more general piece to be useful to bloggers, regardless of the type equipment they have. In fact, many of the areas I touch on (bouncing and reflecting light etc.) can be applied to most areas of photography.

If people do find my advice useful, I may well do a follow-up piece here in the future with tips on styling and basic photo editing. Please let me know if you’d find this helpful.

As always, you are welcome to contact me if you want any specific advice on your own food photography work. Just pop your questions in the comments section of my blog so that I can respond to you there and hopefully help others who have a similar query.

You can read the full article here.

7 Comments on Improving your food photography: a guide for bloggers

1. haysparks
    April 2, 2012 at 5:48 am (6 years ago)

Thanks for your generous advice and tips. Having just begun to use a digital SLR, and beginning to try to understand the elements of photography, I find your article and illustrations most helpful.

2. Heather Wilkinson
    April 2, 2012 at 10:43 am (6 years ago)

Thanks so much for your comment. I’m glad you enjoyed the article 🙂

April 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm (6 years ago)

WOW! Congratulations on being asked to contribute to the Foodie Bugle. You deserve it though, your photos are amazing.
    I will just sit here and continue to dream about beng asked to contribute to things…

• Heather Wilkinson
      April 7, 2012 at 2:45 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks so much, Mel, I really was so delighted to be asked! I know they’re always looking for submissions and you’re a cracking writer, so why not consider submitted something yourself? I always learn lots about food waste etc from your site!

4. Sarah Knows
    April 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm (6 years ago)

Love this article, I’m getting used to my camera but would like to know what camera & lenses you use particularly for food photography.

• Heather Wilkinson
      April 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Sarah, thanks for stopping by and glad you like the article :). For the most part, I mostly use Canon kit (camera and lenses) but it really depends what I’m shooting, where, and what it will be used for. I also work a lot with film and medium format.

5. Shu Han
    April 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm (6 years ago)

great article, thanks for all the tips, and I really hope to improve my own food photography skills in future!