Lemon and poppy seed shortbread

Last Sunday was one of those days when I wanted to bake something treaty but couldn’t quite decide what. I needed fresh lemon juice for another dish I was making that day, so I thought I’d make use of the zest and play around with a shortbread recipe.

The flavors of lemon and poppy seeds work well together, and I’m always surprised just how much flavour poppy seeds have considering how small they are.

You will need
150g unsalted butter, cut into small chunks and left until at room temperature
150g plain flour
75g cornflour
75g caster sugar (plus a little extra for sprinkling when cooked)
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
Grated zest of 1 ½  lemons

Makes about 12 biscuits

1.)Beat the butter and sugar together in a mixer until pale and creamy, then stir in the poppy seeds and lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
2.)Sift in your plain and cornflour to the bowl and, using a fork, gently mix the ingredients together until you have a soft dough. Be careful not to overmix.
3.)Dust a sheet of baking paper, place your dough on top and roll it out to about 5mm thick. Place flattened dough in the fridge for 45mins – an hour.
4.)Preheat your oven to 170oC/Gas Mark 3
5.)To cut your dough either use a 6cm pastry cutter or an upturned drinking glass of around the same diameter.
6.)Place your shortbread rounds on a non-stick baking tray and bake for approx. 20mins or until slightly firm.
7.)Remove them from the oven and sprinkle with caster sugar.
8.)Leave them to cool on the tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool and harden.

8 Comments on Lemon and poppy seed shortbread

1. Domestic Executive
    March 4, 2012 at 12:20 am (7 years ago)

I love poppy seeds. These biscuits look a perfect way to fuel that appetite.

• Heather Wilkinson
      March 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm (7 years ago)

I love them too except when they get stuck in my teeth and I don’t realise for ages. Not pretty!

2. Lemon
    March 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm (7 years ago)

Wow, your photos are awesome. At the same time I have to admit I am a big fan of shortbread, with lemon and poppy seed, yum.

• Heather Wilkinson
      March 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm (7 years ago)

Ooh thanks so much. Shortbread is rather delish, isn’t it!

3. anknelandburblets
    March 8, 2012 at 11:09 am (7 years ago)

Yum! I’m going to make these this weekend. Haven’t made biscuits in ages – and seeing as I’ve just bought some amazing Silverwood baking sheets it’s high time I did!

• Heather Wilkinson
      March 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm (7 years ago)

I’ve been meaning to get some baking sheets for ages – they look so handy for pizzas etc. I’ve not heard of Silverwood – will have to check them out!

4. Choclette
    March 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm (7 years ago)

Oh what a good idea. I’ve made lemon shortbread before and I really like lemon and poppy seed cake, but would never have though of putting poppy seeds in shortbread. They look and sound delicious.

• Heather Wilkinson
      March 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm (7 years ago)

Do try them, they are delish. I might try making some more for Mother’s day.