Moroccan-style Bean Stew

All images © Heather Wilkinson 2012

I’ve really got into combining sweet and savoury flavours recently, and I thought I’d use these as a basis for creating a dish for Meat-free Monday. This is a Moroccan-inspired bean stew, healthy, tasty and incredibly simple to prepare. I made sure to make plenty so there was enough left for lunch the next day. I really wanted to try making flat breads but ran out of time, so I served the stew with toasted wholemeal pittas and a yogurt dip.

You will need
400g (dry weight) of mixed beans and pulses (I used chick peas, kidney and flageolet beans)
400g of good quality chopped tinned tomatoes (+ half a tin of water)
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp dried chilli flakes (or fresh chilli if you prefer)
½ tsp paprika
A handful of sultanas
1 handful of dried chopped apricots
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp dried powered ginger
1 tsp tomato puree
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 generous glug of olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

1.)Heat the oil in a large pan. Add your onion and allow to soften before adding your garlic, carrots, cumin, ginger, paprika, cinnamon, chilli and coriander. Cook for about 3 minutes.
2.)Add your beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, sultanas, apricots and half a tin of fresh water. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients together.
3.)Leave on a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 mins to allow the stew to cook down.

6 Comments on Moroccan-style Bean Stew

1. Domestic Executive
    February 13, 2012 at 7:13 pm (7 years ago)

mmm, can just imagine how good this tastes. Shame about the flat breads which I can’t stop making.

• Heather Wilkinson
      February 15, 2012 at 10:51 am (7 years ago)

I’ll post you some stew if you post me some flatbreads 😉

2. Shaheen
    February 16, 2012 at 11:30 pm (7 years ago)

This is relly my kind of stew and I love that you’ve served it in a rustic bowl too. Good luck with the flatbread making in the future.

• Heather Wilkinson
      February 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm (7 years ago)

Hi Shaheen, thanks for stopping by. I’m trying to include a lot more pulses in my diet so always looking for new and exciting recipes if you have any to share! 🙂

3. pam
    February 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm (7 years ago)

Hi Heather!

I chanced upon your blog and guess what? My blog is also named Breakfast by the Sea! haha except it’s on posterous.
    http://breakfastbythesea.posterous.com. You have a lovely blog and even lovelier recipes! I’m not a food blogger, I set up mine just to write cos I love it. I read a variety of food blogs and yours is one of my faves! Looking fwd to read more from you 🙂

Pam

• Heather Wilkinson
      February 19, 2012 at 10:48 am (7 years ago)

Hi Pam,

How funny that our blogs have the same name – we clearly share excellent taste!

Thanks for your lovely comments too. x