Spicy sweet potato soup

I know my last post was a soup recipe, but the weather has been so ridiculously cold and snowy here in Sussex this week that I’ve been eating little else. Knowing that I’ve got a warm and satisfying lunch to look forward to is about the only thing that makes braving the arctic temperatures in the morning bearable.

I think this has to be one of the simplest soups I’ve ever made: quick to prepare, healthy and a really short list of ingredients. My kind of recipe.

You will need
A glug of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
½ teaspoon of dried chill flakes or ½ fresh red chilli, deseeded.
1 tsp ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, crushed and sliced
750g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
1 pint of warm vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste.

1.) Warm the oil in a large pan, add your onions, garlic, chilli flakes and ground coriander and cook until soft.
2.) When your onions have softened, add your sweet potato and mix it in with the other ingredients. Leave it to cook in the pan for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.) Pour your warmed stock over the mixture, bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for about 10/15 mins, or until the sweet potatoes soften.
4.) Blend your soup until smooth. Serve with fresh crusty bread (this soda bread is ideal). If you find the soup too spicy then add a dollop of crème fraiche.

All images © Heather Wilkinson 2012

8 Comments on Spicy sweet potato soup

1. ediblethings.net
    February 9, 2012 at 8:01 am (7 years ago)

That is a good looking soup. Would you also make a similar one with pumpkin?

2. Heather Wilkinson
    February 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Mel, I love that colour. I’m sure pumpkin would work really well but you’d probably get a different texture, not so velvety perhaps? You might have to add one large potato to get a smoother texture. Definitely worth giving it a go though!

3. Domestic Executive
    February 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm (7 years ago)

With the biting southerly wind and rain you’d think it was winter here in Wellington. To make up for the summer weather misery I treated myself to a warming bowl of spicy sweet potato soup in a cafe and it was just what I needed so I know what you mean!

• Heather Wilkinson
      February 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm (7 years ago)

That weather must be playing havoc with your poor veggies! Nothing quite like a bowl of warm soup on a grey day 🙂

4. Jan
    February 10, 2012 at 9:43 am (7 years ago)

Wow – lovely looking soup!
    Ps: I’m loving your blog and will put a link to it on mine. Nice to meet you x

• Heather Wilkinson
      February 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks Jan, so nice of you to stop by 🙂 I was reading your steak and Guinness recipe just now – yummy yum!

5. Janice
    February 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm (7 years ago)

Wow, what a find! Your photography is outstanding, I’d love to be able to take pics like that. I guess you have more light and for longer in Brighton than we do in Scotland! Am bookmarking, RSSing your blog.

• Heather Wilkinson
      February 11, 2012 at 10:37 am (7 years ago)

Hi Janice, thanks so much for your lovely comments! it’s great that the days are getting longer now and there’s more light – before Christmas I was having a nightmare with lack of it. I went to Scotland for my honeymoon – one of my most favourite places. The food – my goodness – I’ve never eaten so well in my life 🙂 x